Sunday, June 7, 2009

Saying goodbye to a wonderful woman

On Thursday night I had the opportunity to say goodbye to my best friend’s grandmother. I spent over two hours in the ICU waiting room with her family reminiscing about the good times. There were of course some tears, but mostly laughter and smiles as we talked about her.

I have always called her Grandma, and so have a few others that are not related to her by blood. I have spent many a night on the sofa talking to her while drinking a glass of wine and watching her knit. I laughed as I watched her snow tube down a hill, and I always listened to her advice on life and love. She was always happy to see me and ready with a hug and a kiss.

She was the kind of woman who would spend countless hours watching over a fish and praying that it lived. Her kind heart and tender manner was always a comfort to those around her.

As I listened to the stories that her children told about her that night I felt honored that she was a part of my life, albeit only for a little while.

This morning at 3:30am grandma left us. Grandma lived a good life, and raised a small army of loving children and grandchildren to be some of the most wonderful people I have ever known.

I love you Grandma.

“The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible. But there arriving she is sure of bliss, and forever dwells in paradise.” - Plato