Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A wedding and a funeral?

The other day I was in the car with my mom on the way to do some shopping and she said “what if we have to cancel the wedding?”

i'm thinking is she kidding? and then she says...

“What if we have to cancel the wedding because your grandfather dies?”

First of all my grandfather has been in the hospital because of surgery and physical therapy and a bit of dementia but currently it’s not serious.

Because of this I am already planning on not having my grandparents at the wedding. It makes me terribly sad but there is nothing I can do to fix it.

Second of all if he dies on the same weekend as the wedding I think that sad as it may be the show must go on. I could get wedding insurance but if it’s that weekend half the people will already have nonrefundable tickets to fly into town and hotel rooms reserved and there is no insurance I know of that will cover that. If people have to go through all that trouble will they come when we reschedule? I’m thinking not. and on top of all that i don't think he would want me to cancel.

So what do I do? Do I get wedding insurance? What if he dies the weekend before? Why does she think this is even a possibility?


1 comment:

MrsMis said...

Not to be a downer or anything but my grandfather passed away 2 weeks before my wedding and my parents were freaking out because in Poland you do this bizzare mourning thing where you can't have fun, dance, celebrate (some people actually wear ONLY all black) for A WHOLE YEAR when a grandparent/parent/sibling dies. before he passed away he made my family swear that they would not under any circumstances cancel the wedding and he wanted everyone to have fun. I think your grandpa would want the same for you on your special day :)