Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Dreaded Toast

I started writing my toast for Shroomy’s wedding a few months ago, last night I realized I really need to finish it because the wedding is just a few days away. I can’t believe on Saturday she is getting married. It seems like only yesterday we were in middle school.

I wanted my speech to be unique and different. I thought maybe I could do something like this scene from Love Actually…



But I realized that I don’t think I can say everything I want to with cardboard.

Russ thought that maybe I should use a toaster and make them some toast, I liked the idea and thought maybe I could try to keep my speech under the amount of time it would take to make toast. This is when I really wished that I had a toaster that toasted hearts onto the bread. But the logistics of this I don’t think will work.

Russ also suggested using the card idea, but writing the whole thing like I was sending her a Text. Funny, but again I don’t think it will convey my sentiments correctly.

I wrote something that is very much your typical wedding toast. It still needs a little work but it’s decent. It’s just not the amazing toast I had in mind. I’m not a really funny person so trying to inject humor into my speech I think is maybe a bad idea. I spent most of last night watching wedding speeches on you tube with no real luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

Tierney M. said...

Hi Kathy!

I'm so glad I found your new blog through Sarah. It keeps me up to date with what you've been up to.

As for the toast, the best one's I've seen have been sweet and funny. (And I can attest to being an expert since I've been a bridesmaid 12 times and have attended more weddings than I care to remember) My favorite toast of all times was a speech turned into a Dr. Seuss rhyme. My only other piece of advice is DO NOT give a toast drunk!! Although they are funny to witness, the bride is never pleased.

Hope it goes well. Good Luck!

Tierney

Kathy said...

hey Tierney long time no see! thanks for the advice. i really like the dr.Suess idea!